Wendat Carol (Huron Carol)

 Wendat Carol (Huron Carol) 

Written by Saint Jean de Brébeuf (25 March 1593 – 16 March 1649), derived from a French Song. There are versions in English and in Wendat. - Hymns of Carols and Christmas website, and Heritage Canton website.  

I do not know how accurate and exact the English translation and Wendat versions are. It is entirely possible that the one written in the native language had a less condescending tone, though I can't imagine it being absent the colonizing aspect. Maybe it at least had accurate Wendat words – "Gitchi Manitou" is Cree/Algonquian for "Great Spirit", "Orenda" is Wendat. 'Wendat' and 'Wendake' are 2 of the more accurate names I found for this tribe. "Huron" comes from French, meaning 'boar's head', 'rough', and 'boorish'.  

 

 

Twas in the moon of winter-time 
When many animals slept  
Orenda's sturdy winter friends  
Wandered on instead; 
Through rest or play the stars grew dim, 
And wandering hunters heard the hymn: 

 
I am your winter's winds, I bring dancing snow.  

On this grand and icy land  
 
Within a lodge of Alder bark 
Community was found, 
Luxurious robe of animal fur 
Kept us warm and sound;  
But as the hunter group drew nigh, 
The 'ohchasong rang loud and high... 

 
I am your winter's winds, I bring dancing snow.  

On this grand and icy land 
 
The earliest moon of wintertime 
frosted and so fair  
Shining on the glorious 
Wind-blown branch and hair.  
As family we pause to kneel,  
Descendants and ancestors heal.   

 
I am your winter's winds, I bring dancing snow.  

On this grand and icy land  
 
O children of the forest free, 
Orenda's family 
The yearly cycle's wheel of time  
Is known so well to thee 
The sculpture of the glistening ice  

Shines, a diamond paradise.  

 
I am your winter's winds, I bring dancing snow.  

On this grand and icy land  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secular Carols (and their original titles)

Dark! The winter solstice night (Hark! The Herald Angels Sing)

8 Rejoices of Winter (The 7 Rejoices of Mary)