8 Rejoices of Winter (The 7 Rejoices of Mary)
8 Rejoices of Winter (The 7 Rejoices of Mary)
I am most familiar with Loreena McKennitt’s version. The melody has long been in the public domain and has been used in many songs. This is the first one I did. I spelled it with the numeral so it could be alphabetized first in honor of that. I crowd-sourced through Facebook what people’s favorite things about winter are, specific to the season and nature. This was a great one to start with as diving into the list and supporting details helped with future songs like “In the Bleak Midwinter.” In the second line I used the archaic term “wilt” instead of “will” for anachronistic and rhyming reasons. But even though I’ve recorded it already I think I’ll go with the less-accurate rhyme and keep the modern term going forward.
The first good joy of winter, it is the axial tilt
The angle of our journey changing seasons as it will
To see the change of season, as we see our breath like clouds,
Sing of darkness and the chilliness, and snow falling like a shroud.
The 2nd good joy of winter, it is the frost so fine
It is the joy of sparkles, so shiny and crystalline.
The 3rd good joy of winter, it is the branches bare
The meandering pen of nature reaching out in the chilly air
To see the frosted branches, drawn against a clouded sky
The plants asleep and dormant will arise from where they lie.
The 4th good joy of winter is ice on lake, and eves,
Over cold stream beds where aquatic friends hibernate under the leaves
The next good joy of winter, is snow, white and sparkling
It is the joy of snowflakes and the quiet that they bring
The quiet of the landscape, insulated from the sounds
Of our normal days and hectic ways, with bustling all around
The 6th good joy of winter, it is the holly trees
Our evergreen friends are symbols, that again all will be green.
The 7th good joy of winter is the cardinal bright and red.
Complement of green in the winter scene, flying overhead.
The bird and berry warm in hue, like fire embers bright
Will guide us through the inky blue upon this darkest night.
The next good joy of winter, are the friends in the wilderness
Leaving tracks all 'round snow-covered ground, memories of where they pass
Give glory to this season, an experience to behold
Go forth on sled or foot path, through the shimmering crystal cold
Comments
Post a Comment