Weather From the Realms of Winter (Angels from the Realms of Glory)

Weather From the Realms of Winter (Angels from the Realms of Glory) 

"Regent Square" written by Henry Smart in the early 1800s is the most common tune used for this song in the USA. From what little I've read about it, the music was originally written for the purpose of hymns, even though I don't think Smart wrote any lyrics for it himself. I feel that, without being told such things, the content of instrumental music is inherently neutral. Unless you're educated in the genre, the composer, the patronage or what-have-you, there's nothing to specifically give you any clue as to its intention.  

I’m not sure why my version suddenly takes a dark turn, but that’s how the wheels were working that day, I guess. 

 

Snowflake from the skies above us 

Touching down o'er all the land 

Glowing flowing all about us 

Landing lightly on our hands 

 

Refrain 

Solstice weather, solstice weather, 

Weather of the winter time. 

 

Shadows in the woods surround us 

Soft blue stripes upon the snow  

Low and bright, the sun of dusk 

Makes the icicles a-glow 

 

Sages, gone through many winters 

Longer days, they’ve come and gone 

Taking time to look inward  

So familiar, this old song 

 

Watch for icicles above you 

Lest they fall and knock you out  

Suddenly an avalanche flew 

Down the mountainside, so shout 

 

Batten down the hatches as we 

Wait for the impending doom 

Of the howling winter squall, seems 

Like we'll never make it through 

 

St Bernards are at the ready 

Traipsing through the dang'rous paths 

Steady, plodding out to save thee 

Here they are we're safe at last 

 

Cozy in the kitchen eating 

Food prepared, so warm and good 

Wrapped in blankets, chills retreating 

Silent feelings understood  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secular Carols (and their original titles)

Dark! The winter solstice night (Hark! The Herald Angels Sing)

8 Rejoices of Winter (The 7 Rejoices of Mary)