Sweet Baby, Sleep

 Sweet Baby, Sleep  

Words: George Wither, 1588-1667. I’m partial to the recording by Quadriga Consort, even though the singer uses a style I do not normally prefer. 

This song focuses so much on the baby, keeping very much to the lullaby theme that I simply took my favorite verses and swapped out the occasional religious terms like 'lamb' 'holy' 'god' etc.As it turns out, I was so focused on the lullaby aspect it ends up having no lyrical reference to winter at all.  

Sweet baby, sleep; what ails my dear?  
What ails my darling thus to cry?  
Be still, my child, and lend thine ear  
To hear me sing thy lullaby.  
 

Thou favored child, what canst thou fear? 

What thing to thee can mischief do?  

Thy father holds you near and dear;  

Just as thy mother, holds so fast to you.       

 

*Sweet baby, then, forebear to weep,  
Be still, my babe; sweet baby, sleep,  

Sweet baby sleep.  

 

In this thy frailty and thy need  
Your friends and helpers doth prepare,  
Which thee shall cherish, clothe and feed,  
For of thy health they lend their care. 

 

Sweet baby, sleep, and nothing fear,  
May your bad dreams come to an end.  
At your bedside, you’ll find us near,  
So loving and steadfast are thy friends.       

 

*Sweet baby, then, forebear to weep,  
Be still, my babe; sweet baby, sleep,  

Sweet baby sleep.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secular Carols (and their original titles)

Dark! The winter solstice night (Hark! The Herald Angels Sing)

8 Rejoices of Winter (The 7 Rejoices of Mary)