Little Snowflake (The Lamb)

 Little Snowflake (The Lamb) 

The original words by William Blake have been set to more than one melody, but I used the first one I heard, written by Sir John Tavener (1944-2013) in 1982. I looked into the older music by Vaughn Williams in 1958. For the most part the phrasing works out just fine, except for the "Little Snowflake, I'll tell thee/ Little Snowflake, Warm around me". Substituting the word "my" in place of "little" seems to solve that issue.   

 

I enjoy Tavener's choral arrangement for its haunting moments of dissonance and resolution. 

 

Little snowflake who made thee 
Dost thou know who made thee 
Gave thee life & bid thee fly.  
By the stream & through the sky;  
Over meadows of delight,  
Softest clothing crystal bright;  

 
Renders sound a tender voice,  
Making all the vales rejoice! 
Little snowflake who made thee 
Dost thou know who made thee 

 

Little snowflake I'll tell thee,  
Little snowflake I'll tell thee! 

 
You are formed by winter's breath,  
North and south and east and west  
Be you storm or be you mild,  
whispered wind or gust so wild.  
By my warmth you lose your form,  
When you’re many, we keep warm.  

 
Little snowflakes, warm around me.  
Little snowflakes, warm around me.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secular Carols (and their original titles)

Dark! The winter solstice night (Hark! The Herald Angels Sing)

8 Rejoices of Winter (The 7 Rejoices of Mary)