I Wonder As I Wander

 I Wonder As I Wander   

"I Wonder as I Wander" is a Christian folk hymn, typically performed as a Christmas carol, written by American folklorist and singer John Jacob Niles. The hymn has its origins in a song fragment collected by Niles on July 16, 1933. He was attending a fundraiser held by evangelicals in an Appalachian town called Murphy, North Carolina. The singer, Annie Morgan, was a young, disheveled busker. Niles heard her perform from a stage attached to an automobile. She would sing the song for a quarter.   

My inherent sense of social justice wonders what portion of any income he made off the song was shared with his source.   

Lindsey Stirling’s version is my favorite. 

  

I wonder as I wander out under the sky  
How all the plants, so dormant they lie  
But know they are growing so silently by  

I wonder as I wander out under the sky  

   

Then over the edges of last year's old growth  

The frost builds its castles, a spellbinding show  

And high in the atmosphere crystals are sewn  
And the promise of winter, it's beauty to know  
   
If you ever wanted for any wee thing  

A star in the sky, or a bird on a wing 

To all of Earth's glory in nature, we sing  

We surely can live it, in our caroling 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secular Carols (and their original titles)

Dark! The winter solstice night (Hark! The Herald Angels Sing)

8 Rejoices of Winter (The 7 Rejoices of Mary)