By Frozen Paths (Balulalow)

 By Frozen Paths (Balulalow 

Original text is from the 1500s. It's listed on Loreena McKennitt's credits as traditional, unsure about the date of origin for the melody. Other songs with the same title don’t necessarily have the same melody. 

 

By frozen paths I come to tell 

The story of how winter fell 

To you these tidings true I bring 

And I will of them say and sing. 

Inside of you is born the light 

To warm the meek and sooth the mild 

That blessed regard, benign and kind 

Helps keep you warm in heart and mind. 

 

Let us rejoice and be blithe 

And with the chill go forth this night 

And see what Winter's grace has done 

On frosted paths unto Its throne 

My soul and life stand up and see 

What lay in yon ravine and tree. 

What rests on that, so old a branch 

Some icicles, the sun to catch. 

 

My heart and breath, I hear and see, 

As does my spirit move so free! 

And I shall hold our winter glow 

to light our journey as we go. 

And now to praise this glorious air 

With songs we sing to halt despair 

Reverence for ice and snow on trees 

Communing with them, as we please. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secular Carols (and their original titles)

Dark! The winter solstice night (Hark! The Herald Angels Sing)

8 Rejoices of Winter (The 7 Rejoices of Mary)