Breton Carol

 Breton Carol  

Loreena McKennitt’s instrumental version is the only one I heard until 2021 or '22, and I’ve yet to hear it in English. The chieftains recorded this in 1987. The album's liner notes state that the music was selected from a publication entitled TonioùBreizh-Izel (Traditional Tunes from Lower Brittany), which contains over 3,000 tunes collected by PoligMonjarret, who collaborated with Paddy Moloney in choosing the tunes for the album.  – Wikipedia 

I wrote a blurb at the end of this document about songs I haven’t done yet but might. This was on that list, but one morning as I walked the dogs, I realized I hadn’t included the imagery of temporary leaf-stains on concrete in a song yet. I love those! This song was thus commandeered for that purpose. It also reflects a certain satisfaction with both solitary time (aside from the dogs, it was a solitary walk), and family time. During the pandemic it has been really helpful to live with two of my besties – my found family if you will. 

 

 

I walk along the sidewalk alone in winter's breeze 

The memories of fallen leaves from yonder trees 

Are printed on the concrete squares, bestowed by time and rain. 

The temporary artwork will melt away again. 

 

I see the lights on neighbors' houses down the street 

Illuminating night's long hours, bright and sweet, 

Inspiring adventures, walking through the neighborhood 

While stars above my head sparkle as they would. 

 

The snowflakes twirl around me, as if the twinkling stars 

Could send down miniature, enchanting avatars. 

The hexagons of fairy dust land lightly on the ground 

Eventually bestowing magically dampened sound. 

 

As I return home to the housemates' company, 

Revitalizing care and healing energy, 

We check in with each other as to how our days transpired. 

Encouraging each other, a kindship most inspired. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secular Carols (and their original titles)

Dark! The winter solstice night (Hark! The Herald Angels Sing)

8 Rejoices of Winter (The 7 Rejoices of Mary)